Frequently Asked Questions
Confused about something? Check here first...
- What is the Scotiabank & BC SPCA Paws for a Cause? The Scotiabank & BC SPCA Paws for a Cause is the BC SPCA’s biggest fundraiser and our work would not be possible without your support. The event consists of 35 walks in support of BC SPCA branches throughout the province.
- How are the funds I raise spent? The funds raised at each event stay in the community to support your local BC SPCA branch. For more information please visit the Where Your Dollars Go portion of our site.
- Do I have to pay to walk? Most of our walks have a registration fee. Registration fees cover the cost of putting on the event, so that every dollar you raise goes directly to the animals we serve. For information on your local walk fee choose your location and begin the registration process.
- How long is the walk? The length of the walk varies by location but all are between 2 and 5 kilometres. Local walk details will be put on our walk webpages as they are announced.
- Is there a registration cut off? Online registration will close four days before walk day however, you are still welcome to register on walk day.
- What can I expect on walk day? Each event includes a walk and other activities for adults, kids and dogs! For local activity details please check your walk’s site.
- How do I register online? Online registration is easy! Just choose your walk location and click to start a team, join a team, or register as an individual. Follow the prompts to proceed with online registration or click to Download a Registration Form (found on the event page) to mail or drop off at your local branch.
- How long does it take for my online registration to be processed? You should receive a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours.
- What should I do if I recently registered or made a donation and haven't received anything by e-mail after 24 hours? Contact us at email@example.com and we will be happy to check the status for you.
- How can I change the event location that I registered for? Unfortunately, we are unable to transfer your registration to another walk location. If you wish to change location please contact us so that we can refund your registration fee and you can register for a different event. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 604.709.6712 (toll-free 1.800.665.1868).
- How do I join a team once I have already registered as an individual? If you would like to join a team after you have registered as an individual, or if you would like to change teams, sign in to your participant centre and click “Change Team Membership” in the right hand column. Enter the team name in the appropriate field and click “Search for a Team”. Click “Join Team” next to the desired team name and click “Confirm Team Membership” on the next page.
- Is my registration fee tax deductible? No, the registration fee is used to cover services provided to participants at the event and is not eligible for a tax receipt.
- How can I obtain a paper copy of the pledge form for collecting donations? You can pick up pledge forms at your local BC SPCA branch or contact email@example.com to have one mailed to you. Please be aware that pledge forms can only be submitted on event day. If you would like to submit offline funds before the event please see How do I submit funds I raise offline before the event? below.
- I want to raise funds for the Scotiabank & BC SPCA Paws for a Cause but am unable to attend the actual event. Can I still fundraise? Yes, absolutely! To set up your online fundraising page you will still need to register online.
- How do I change the fundraising goal that I have set? Log in to your participant centre, choose your event, and click on the change link under your goal. Your updated goal should be reflected on your page immediately.
- How long will it take for an online pledge to be reflected on my "Amount Raised Online" total? Changes on your Amount Raised Online total should be updated within 24 hours.
- How do I submit funds I raise offline before the event? If your supporters prefer to give cash, cheques, or money orders, please have them fill out a donation form with your Participant ID number on it. To print your personalized donation form you (or your supporters) simply search for your name on spca.bc.ca/walk, open your personal page and click to Print a donation form to submit donations offline. The form can then be dropped off at your branch or mailed to the address on the form. We will do our best to get the donations on the online total on your personal page as quickly as possible. Please note, to be eligible for top prizes, all donations need to be received by the provincial office in Vancouver 10 business days before the event. Otherwise, please take all offline donations with you to the event to be counted towards prizing.
- What should I do if I've forgotten my login ID and/or password? If you don't remember the User Name/and or Password that you registered with, that information can be emailed to you. Click the log in link and choose Forgot User Name? or Forgot Password?
- How do I access my participant centre? Follow the instructions to log in, when you are logged in you can click the Participant Centre link on the yellow tab at the top right of your page to access the centre at any time.
Log-In and Participant Centre Access:
- How do I upload a picture or video to my personal page? Once in your participant centre, click the black PERSONAL PAGE tab. Click the Photos/Video link on the right to upload.
Pictures and Videos:
- How do I find the email templates in my participant centre? Once in your participant centre, click the black EMAIL tab. Click Use a template (below the Subject line) and choose from the options available. You will be able to make changes to the template before sending.
- How do I make a donation? Enter the name of the person you would like to donate to in the Donate box on the right side of this page. Choose their name from the list and click the blue donate button on their page. Want to make an offline donation? Simply click to Print a donation form to submit donations offline and mail your donation or drop it off at your local BC SPCA branch. You can also call our donor relations team at 604.681.7271 or toll free 1.800.665.1868.
- Can I donate to an event without choosing a participant? Of course! Choose your event on the map and a button will appear on the right of your screen Make a General Event Donation or click to Make a General Event Donation on this side of this page if you do not want to a specify a location.
- How do I receive a tax receipt? All donations of $20 or more will receive a tax receipt. If you make a donation online you will automatically receive a tax receipt. For donations made offline tax receipts will be mailed directly to you, processing time varies based upon date of submission. Please be sure to provide all contact details when submitting your donation.