This beautiful House Finch, was found helplessly fluttering in someone’s backyard. The finder had spotted him and noticed that he was having trouble flying, so they contacted Wild ARC for assistance.
Upon initial examination the House Finch was found to have swollen, red eyes and was carrying a disease called avian conjunctivitis. Avian conjunctivitis is a bacterial infection that affects the membrane surrounding the eyes and if left untreated, birds can potentially go blind and eventually pass away due to dehydration and starvation.
Our rehabilitation staff will need to give this patient, gentle eye cleanings to remove the discharge, apply medicated eye drops, and administer antibiotics to fight the bacteria and continuously monitor him to make sure he is improving with each treatment.
This Christmas, help make a difference by donating to the medical care and support of this lovely House Finch. You can also help us prevent these kinds of cases from happening in the future, by cleaning and disinfecting your bird feeders regularly.